Unusual floods in London and Boston

An incredible incident happened in the capital of England on October 17, 1814. On this day London was flooded with ... beer. And the culprit of this tragedy was the Mo and Company brewery located on Tottenham Court Road. On this day, a huge tank of beer burst here, causing a chain destruction of the remaining containers, and streams of intoxicating drink poured into the surrounding streets.

The wave of beer destroyed two neighboring houses and a pub located nearby, the ruins of which filled up the barmaid. She, by the way, was not the only victim of this disaster, only nine people died, eight of whom drowned, and one died as a result of alcohol poisoning.

The area where the brewery was located was inhabited by the poor. Many families lived in cellars that quickly filled with beer. Namely, the inhabitants of these cellars became the main victims of the flood.

The owner of the company was arrested and taken to court. But the judge concluded that the tragedy occurred as a result of force majeure, respectively, and there are no guilty persons in this case. Encouraged by this decision, the brewer filed a petition in parliament for damages. Throughout the next year, the company was exempted from paying excise taxes, which made it possible to maintain production.

There is currently no Mo & Company brewery. It was demolished in 1922, and on this site is now the Dominion cinema.

But the American city of Boston on January 15, 1919 was flooded with sugar molasses. A huge reservoir filled with molasses exploded at a distillery in Boston's North End.

In the United States at this time, it was planned to introduce Prohibition, so the owners of alcohol production enterprises tried to produce as much product as possible and sell it as quickly as possible. Here the capacity could not withstand the increased load.

The pressure of the sweet liquid was so strong that it pushed the freight train off the railroad tracks. Many people could not get out of the viscous molasses and died from suffocation. 21 people died and more than 150 ended up in the hospital. The rescue operations lasted four days. The victims were paid compensation totaling $ 600, 000.

The reservoir was not rebuilt; a baseball court was built in its place. By the way, locals claim that the smell of caramel is still felt here on hot days.