The first mentions of the city of Tula date back to 1146, it is one year older than Moscow. That year, according to the Nikon Chronicle, the Novgorod-Seversky prince was hiding from the brothers at war with him in the forests of the Vyatichi, and then began to collect tribute from Tula and neighboring cities. Tula stands on the Tulitsa River, according to the dictionary of Vladimir Dahl, "tula" means "a hidden, inaccessible place." In the first centuries of its existence, the city was a small prison, which was located at the confluence of the Upa and Tulitsa rivers.
10 interesting facts about Tula
- Tula has never been an independent principality, the city at different times was part of the possession of the Ryazan and Moscow princes. In 1380, the famous Battle of Kulikovo took place near the city, and two years later Tula was destroyed during the invasion of the Mongol army of Khan Tokhtamysh. Tula finally became part of the Moscow state during the reign of Ivan III.
- In the 15th century, large deposits of iron ore were discovered in the vicinity of Tula, and numerous handicraft enterprises for iron smelting appeared. At that time, Tula became the metallurgical capital of the state, the products of local craftsmen were transported to the fairs of the cities that stood on the banks of the Volga and Oka. And today Tula is a large industrial center, "thanks" to which the city is one of the ecologically unfavorable ones.
- The importance of Tula grew even more at the beginning of the 18th century, during the reign of Peter the Great. In 1704, the city's best gunsmiths delivered samples of their products to the tsar. Master Nikita Demidov earned special approval from the monarch, he was allowed to build his own arms factory, as well as a large area for ore mining. Interestingly, the Museum of Weapons was opened here in 1724.
- in 1912 a monument to Peter the Great was erected in Tula. Its opening was associated with the 200th anniversary of the Tula Arms Factory, whose foundation was directly related to Peter. The famous Russian sculptor, academician of the Academy of Arts Robert Romanovich Bach worked on the monument.
- Since 1797, Tula has been the center of the newly formed province. At that time, about 50, 000 inhabitants lived in the city, which was not a little for that time. And the coat of arms of Tula was approved by Empress Catherine II on March 8, 1778. On it were placed sword blades, a rifle barrel and two hammers. As it was said in the description, "all this is shown by the notes of a worthy and useful arms factory located in this city."
- The very first Tula samovar was made in 1778 by the brothers Nazar and Ivan Lisitsyn. The samovar trade turned out to be very profitable, especially since Moscow was located nearby. already at the beginning of the 19th century, eight factories for the production of samovars operated in the city.
- The first documentary information about the Tula gingerbread dates back to the end of the 17th century. Over time, wooden forms began to be used for their manufacture, to give an intricate shape. Each master had their own secret recipes and their own forms, which made their products unique. There were also such forms that were used to make gingerbread only once. For example, in 1896, when festive events were held in Moscow on the occasion of the wedding to the kingdom of Emperor Nicholas II, for this event, gingerbread cookies with the profile of the monarch depicted on them were baked in Tula. Interestingly, making the molds was not easy. They were made from birch, and the wood had to be kept for 6-7 years, or even more.
- Tula is the "homeland" of the famous literary hero - Lefty. It is believed that its prototype was the famous Tula gunsmith Alexei Mikhailovich Surnin, who at the end of the 18th century was sent to England to study weapons production. For several years Surnin worked at one of the best British enterprises.
- Only 14 kilometers from Tula is the former estate of the Tolstoy - Yasnaya Polyana. Born here in 1828, and spent a significant part of his life, the great Russian writer Lev Nikolaevich Tolstoy. He actively participated in the cultural life of the city. Many note that the description of Anna Karenina's appearance is very similar to the portrait of Pushkin's eldest daughter, Maria Alexandrovna Hartung. Tolstoy met her in 1868 in Tula, during a ball held by General Tulubiev.
- Tula Central Park of Culture and Rest named after Belousov is one of the largest in Europe, its territory covers 143 hectares. Its creator was the sanitary doctor Petr Petrovich Belousov, who at the end of the 19th century proposed to lay out a park on the site of a dump and a walk for cattle. Currently, a monument to P, P. Belousov is erected in the park. the poet Sergei Yesenin liked to walk here, who called the park the best place in Tula.