Ferrein's pharmacy - pharmacy number 1 in Moscow

Ferrein's pharmacy on Nikolskaya Street is the most famous pharmacy in Moscow. This building is unique in its history and architecture. The neo-Renaissance façade is facing Nikolskaya Street, decorated with columns and statues of the goddesses of Hygia, who feed snakes from bowls. (Hygieia is the goddess of health, hence the word "hygiene"). A facade resembling a medieval castle looks at Teatralny Proezd - with a tower (in which a chimney is hidden) and a clock (irretrievably lost). This façade was in perfect harmony with the Chinese Wall, which had not yet been demolished. The house was built in 1893 by the architect Erichson.

The interiors of the pharmacy were luxurious. Marble stairs led to the upper floor, the halls were decorated with gilded vases, mirrors in gilded frames, carved oak cabinets, stuffed crocodiles, candelabra and statues. There was a fountain filled with French perfume in the reception area. At the entrance, the visitors were greeted by a bear. Rather, his stuffed animal. And a live bear was also kept in a pharmacy - at the stable, where horses were kept for delivering medicines. To advertise medicines on bear fat, the bear was taken every day to a watering hole to the fountain on Lubyanskaya Square, to the general rejoicing of the crowd.

Anyone could enter the pharmacy - both the rich and the poor. There was an outpatient clinic at the pharmacy, where they provided first aid to all those in need, and on the eve of religious holidays, donations were collected at the pharmacy for the poor and orphanages.

In 1881, Ferrein introduced an innovation to reward the work of the company's employees. He gave his employees the opportunity to participate in a share of the company's earnings. That is why the company has become a partnership.

In addition to this pharmacy, the “V.K. Ferrein "there were pharmacy shops in the city, several laboratories (doing a lot of analyzes, including soil, water, food), a glass-blowing workshop, two plantations of medicinal plants in the Podolsk district of the Moscow province (now Butovo) and in the Crimea, as well as a chemical products in the city of Mologa, Yaroslavl province (flooded in 1946 under the Rybinsk reservoir).

In the village of Nizhnie Kotly (now Nagatinskaya Street), the Ferreins had a large pharmaceutical plant (now Bryntsalov's "Ferein" plant). "The partnership of V.K. Ferreina ”prepared and sold, in addition to medicines, soap and perfumery products. It also produced its own medical wines, such as Jerez, Pepsinovoe Ferrein, Buckthorn on Malaga, Condurango, Guaiacolovoe, Coca on Port, Cola on Sherry and others. The drinks were infused with herbs grown on their own plantations. In addition, the Ferreins bottled and sold healing mineral waters.

After the outbreak of the First World War, the pharmacy was badly damaged. In the spring of 1915, a wave of anti-German pogroms swept across Moscow. An angry crowd, dissatisfied with the defeats of the Russian army, began to smash and set fire to factories and houses of owners with German surnames. Ferrein's Pharmacy did not escape this misfortune. On the morning of May 28, the thugs broke into the pharmacy, began to destroy the rich interiors, extracted five poods of alcohol from the cellars, drank it, and then went on to smash the "German spies".

And in 1917, the Ferrein family had to leave Russia in a hurry. According to an eyewitness, an unfinished dinner and unwashed dishes remained at the dacha in Butovo ... In 1931, the All-Russian Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (VILAR) was organized in the Butovo estate, with a rich botanical garden.

Under Soviet rule, the Pharmacy was renamed into Pharmacy No. 1, it existed until 2000. When the building was closed for reconstruction, Moscow Mayor Yuri Luzhkov publicly made a promise to Muscovites that there would be a pharmacy here in the future. Nevertheless, after the reconstruction, instead of "Pharmacy No. 1", a boutique of French crystal "Baccarat" was opened in the house.